Simon & Schuster, July 2011
Practical, innovative, and powerful methods to enliven
classrooms and ignite a passion for learning in each and every
child. It is time to “GET ON THE DESK” and make every school in
America the absolute best it can be.
I often say I am a schoolteacher with the heart of a parent. I’ve made it my mission to make a difference in the lives of all of our children. I have traveled throughout our country, visiting schools in all 50 states, seeking out remarkable teachers who inspire our children to greatness.
Sadly, I have also witnessed classrooms that seemed sapped of all
energy, filled with students struggling to stay awake and teachers
in desperate need of inspiration. These “Molasses Classes” broke
I had to do something! I decided to leave my classroom in East
Harlem, New York, and devote my time to this audacious dream: to
create a revolution in our country, starting from the ground up.
The heart of this change would be a school, unlike any in the
world. It would be full of passion, creativity, energy, and an
unparalleled freedom to do whatever it took to lead every child to
success. The parents and teachers of this school would forge a
true partnership with the intent of providing the best learning
I am proud to say that dream -- the Ron Clark Academy in
Atlanta, Georgia, is now a reality. We welcome educators from all
over the world to visit and learn from our methods and techniques
so that they may take them back to their schools. I am still
teaching, every day, and I feel honored to have hosted more than
10,000 educators in my classroom.
This book is filled with the magic, the successes, the
heartbreaks, the mistakes, and the triumphs that are the Ron Clark
Academy. These are the 101 most successful strategies we have used
to help uplift our children and enliven our classrooms. My hope is
that you will find ideas here that will help you ignite a passion
for learning in your children -- and together we can get the
molasses out of all our children’s classes.
Be different. Be bold. Join in.
-- Ron Clark
101 INNOVATIVE AND CLASSROOM-TESTED WAYS FOR IMPROVING
AMERICA'S SCHOOLS AND LEADING OUR CHILDREN TO GREATNESS
For PARENTS who want more for their children:
- TEACH YOUR CHILDREN HOW TO STUDY; don't expect it to come naturally
- REALIZE THE POWER OF GRATITUDE AND APPRECIATION
- LOVE WHAT YOUR STUDENTS LOVE, whether it's iCarly, Twilight, or Monday Night Football
- KIDS NEED TO MOVE; bring education to life with kinesthetic learning
- GET A DRUM FOR THE CLASSROOM and use music to excite, motivate, and inspire
- PROVIDE EXAMPLES OF EXCELLENCE; we have to be our best individually, but never forget that educating our children is a shared responsibility
- RECOGNIZE THAT THE HEART OF THE SCHOOL IS THE TEACHER; hire the best and never settle
Hardcover | ISBN: 9781451639728 | Publication Date: July 2011